Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This is a special fall treat.
- 1 (19 ounce) can pumpkin, prepared, your favorite brand
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 fresh eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- To cook raw pumpkin:
- Wash the outside, and cut off the top.
- Remove all the pumpkin seeds.
- Peel it and cut into 2-inch cubes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and the cubed pumpkin.
- Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Mash until texture is smooth.
- Place one cup sugar in a small, heavy skillet and stir over medium heat until melted and caramelized.
- Immediately pour into the bottom of a spring-form pan.
- Spread evenly across bottom of pan.
- Mix the remainder of 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla, spices, cooked pumpkin, and milk into a mixing bowl.
- Pour into the baking pan.
- Place pan into another shallow pan with 1/2 inch of hot water in the bottom.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- Cool and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, invert onto a serving plate.