Recipe by Charlotte J
Great on the table to accompany breakfast pastries or dinner breads and muffins, or use it in the kitchen when preparing turkey, ham or other pork dishes. This wonderful butter adds richness and flavor to sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips and beets.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup canned pumpkin puree (to remove any excess water) or 1⁄3 cup fresh pumpkin puree, strained (to remove any excess water)
- 1 tablespoon oranges or 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons Chinese five spice powder
- confectioners' sugar (optional) or honey powder, for sweeter applications (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional) or 1⁄4 cup pecans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the butter in a medium mixing bowl and with an electric mixer (fitted with a paddle) or wooden spoon, beat until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides.
- Add pumpkin puree, zest and five-spice powder, scrapping down the sides of the bowl, and beat to incorporate all ingredients.
- Taste for five-spice powder and salt.
- Add confectioners’ sugar if desired.
- Stir in nuts if desired, and taste again for salt.
- Scrape into a small bowl, serving crock or butter molds and cover tightly or shape into a long roll in grease-proof paper (plastic, wax or parchment) for storing and slicing as needed.