Recipe by PescatariYum
From Hungry Girl: This wacky-sounding recipe was born after we accidentally used leftover pumpkin in place of refried beans. But it tasted FANTASTIC, so we perfected it, and now we're passing it on!
Top Review by Delicious as it Looks
This recipe is amazing! We were a bit apprehensive, but pleasantly surprised at the results. We don't tolerate beans that well and we are trying to reduce our animal protein intake, so these enchiladas were perfect for us. I used small corn tortillas and made four enchiladas, which served the two of us. Will plan on doubling next time! Thanks for sharing this surprising recipe!
- 2 corn tortillas (like Mission Super Size)
- 177.44 ml enchilada sauce, divided
- 158.51 ml canned pumpkin
- 78.07 ml chopped onion
- 59.14 ml shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
- 1 slice fat-free cheddar cheese, halved
- 22.18 ml taco sauce
- 4.92 ml taco seasoning mix
- salt and pepper
- nonfat sour cream
- chopped scallion
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat on the stove. Add onion and, stirring occasionally, cook until it begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add pumpkin, taco sauce, and taco seasoning to the bowl. Mix well. If you like, season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Spray a small baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside. Warm tortillas slightly in the microwave.
- Lay tortillas flat on a clean, dry surface. Spread 2 tablespoons enchilada sauce onto each one. Place a half-slice of cheese in the center of each tortilla. Evenly distribute the pumpkin mixture between the centers of the tortillas.
- Wrap tortillas up tightly and place them in the baking dish with the seam sides down. Cover with remaining 1/2 cup enchilada sauce.
- Bake in the oven for about 8 minutes, until enchiladas are hot. Carefully remove dish from the oven, and sprinkle enchiladas with shredded cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Plate those babies and, if you like, top with sour cream and/or scallions. Enjoy!