Prep 0 mins
Cook 5 mins
I've not timed myself making these...so the time listed is the frying time. but really, not difficult, and so yummy!
- 1 cup cooked mashed pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups unsifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 -7 tablespoons cold water
- 1 quart approx. corn oil
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In bowl stir together first five ingredients. In another bowl mix flour and baking powder. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form with pastry blender. Sprinkle water over mixture while tossing to blend well. Divide into thirds.
- On lightly floured surface roll each out to 1/16 to 1/8 thickness, cut in 3 inch circles. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin mixture onto lower half of each circle. Moisten edge. Fold top half over filling. Seal well.
- Pour corn oil into heavy saucepan (3 quart) filling no more than 1/3 full. Heat over medium heat to 375 degrees F. Carefully add empanadas, a few at a time. Fry, turning once, 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over empanadas.