Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is a fantastically airy and well spiced pumpkin pie. This recipe was entered in the Martha Stewart Show's first annual pie baking contest in November of 2009. Even those who do not like pumpkin pie will love this! Baked in a gingersnap cookie crust and topped with cinnamon, vanilla meringue, this pie is sure to please!
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 (14 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3⁄4 cup whole-fat eggnog
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- approximately 2 cups ginger snaps
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- PREPARE THE CRUST:.
- Grind the gingersnap cookies until they resemble coarse cornmeal.
- Mix in the melted butter.
- Press mixture into a 10 inch, deep dish pie pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- PREPARE THE FILLING:.
- Separate three of the eggs.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the three egg whites on high until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, combine three egg yolks pumpkin, both sugars, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, eggnog and cream.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the pumpkin mixture.
- Pour into the prepared crust.
- Cover the edges of the pie dish with foil or a pie crust protector.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 90 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack at room temperature. DO NOT cool in the refrigerator- the pie continues to cook through while sitting at room temperature.
- Voila! Your pie is ready to serve. Easy as pie!
- The pie can be kept, covered in the fridge overnight.