Prep 5 mins
Cook 28 mins
Here is a nifty little side dish. It's inexpensive and really quite easy to prepare. Plus, they can be boiled in advance and sauteed just before serving. These little dumplings are kind of like spaetzle and would go nicely with anything grilled. You could also combine them with any number of sauces: tomato, cheese, etc. I hope you enjoy them!
- 1⁄2 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, egg, salt, nutmeg, and baking powder.
- Blend well.
- Add flour.
- The dough should be soft.
- Dip a 1/2 teaspoon measure into the boiling water.
- Scoop up a generous 1/2 teaspoon of the dough.
- Drop dough into boiling water.
- Repeat until all of dough is used.
- Be sure to always dip the 1/2 teaspoon measure into the boiling water before scooping up the dough.
- Boil dumplings about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a colander with a slotted spoon to drain.
- In a large skillet, melt the 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add the dumplings and saute until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
Dumplings looked appealing, but tasted very bland. Hubby agreed. If I were to try again I would have to alter the recipe quite a bit to add more flavor. Recipe definitely has potential, though.
Very good, and different, although not very attractive (maybe I'll get better with practice). Added brown sugar on top which, to us, made it a "5".
I"m sorry, but I have to agree with natureprincess. Not only did they lose all of their "pumpkiness" after cooking, the texture was not good. I have been making spätzle for several years using a spätzle maker and I used that for these. I cooked them adequately, and then sautéed them, and they were totally bland and very soft. I have a NY Times recipe also, and I may delete that one from my computer as well. I have never given anything a 1-star rating, or even come close to it, I am sorry, but these deserved it. I'm sticking with my regular, excellent spätzle recipe from now on.