Recipe by *axxo*
A bit more work than the usual dump cake, but oh so worth the effort. A wonderful addition to your Autumn dessert repertoire, won't dissapoint on any dessert table.
Top Review by texascherokee
My husband, who NEVER eats pumpkin pie, has requested that I make this every week...seriously! I've tried a couple of low sugar variations and we've decided that it tastes best using two 15 oz cans of Pumpkin, substituting Splenda for the sugar and with only 1/2 box of yellow cake mix for the topping, and only 1 stick melted margarine. I also substituted chopped walnuts.This gives you an awesome pumpkin base with a light streusel nut topping. A definite winner!!
- 2 cups pumpkin
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup margarine, melted
- 1 container frozen whipped topping, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease one 9X13 baking pan.
- Combine the pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Mix well and spread into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the yellow cake mix over the top of the pumpkin mixture and pat down.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the top of the cake mix then drizzle the margarine all over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour but no longer than 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Top cooled cake with whipped topping when ready to serve.