This recipe comes from a Dude Ranch in Northern Michigan. The chef served these with hot chocolate after a hay ride. Cook time is for the whole recipe.
- Heat oil for deep frying (375°F).
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Mix pumpkin, milk, oil, vanilla and egg.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls into hot oil 5-6 at a time.
- Fry 1-2 minutes, on each side, until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon; roll warm donuts in mixture.
Inez, just finished making a double batch of these for the grandkiddies for Halloween. Have a new cast iron Dutch oven that needed seasoning and this was a yummy way to accomplish that. The recipe was easy to make though I did have to add a smidge more milk to soften the dough to the right consistency. Judging from the smiles I got this is a recipe we will be making many times! Thanks so much for posting it.
These were a real hit in my house. Word of warning though: don't try and make them bigger than the recipe suggests because the middle won't cook before they're too brown. Absolutely delicious.
5 stars times 5=25 stars!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!! These didn't last long enough to cool completely. I made them exactly as directed, I can not imagine improving on this at all. Very Very Good!!!!!!!!!