Recipe by mianbao
These are very light rolls pleasantly flavored with pumpkin, that could be served with a main dish. Home cooked pumpkin could be used instead of the canned pumpkin. BTW, one 15 oz can of pumpkin contains about 2 cups. This recipe yields about 3 pounds of dough. Prep time includes rising times. Each roll is 1 1/2 oz
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105 to 115 F)
- 7 1⁄2 ounces canned or fresh pumpkin puree (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1⁄4 ounces sugar (1/3 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 -6 cups flour
- extra butter, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Put warm water into a large bowl and sprinkle the yeast over the surface; stir to moisten yeast and wait a few minutes for it to start dissolving.
- Stir in pumpkin, butter, sugar, egg, salt and 3 cups of the flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Mix in enough remaining flour to make a dough that can be handled, but still soft.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and divide it in half.
- Round off each half to make 16 balls, place the dough balls into a greased 9-inch square pan.
- Do the same with the remaining dough.
- Let rise until double, about 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350º F.
- Bake until golden and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- (In my oven there were areas that browned too quickly; I covered them with foil and continued baking until done.).