Recipe by Audrey M
I love serving these rolls with a Vegetable Soup. It is worth the few minutes that it takes to prepare these dinner rolls.
Top Review by amy.cleaveland
These are always the hit of the holidays. We've used squash in this recipe for years, since our garden is overflowing. After I roll out the dough, I brush it with softened butter, then roll it up. What delicious flavor!
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)
- 1 1⁄4 cups cooked pumpkin or 1 1⁄4 cups canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup stick margarine, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 1⁄2-5 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Add the pumpkin, butter, sugar, eggs, salt and whole wheat flour. Blend in ingredients until the mixture is smooth. Next, stir in enough all-purpose flour to make the mixture into a soft dough that can be rolled out. Remove dough from bowl and put it on a floured surface. Slowly kneed dough with small amounts of flour until it is smooth and can be stretched. This takes me about 6 minutes. Place dough into a large greased bowl, turning dough to grease all sides. Cover and let the dough rise in a warm place until dough doubles (about 1 hour). My grandmother taught me this trick. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and lower rack to the bottom. Place a terry clothe towel over top of dough and place in over. Turn off heat and let rise.
- Grease a cookie sheet; set aside. After dough has doubled, punch in down with your fist. Once again, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into three portions. Roll out dough to form a 12 inch circle and cut into 12 wedges. Roll up each wedge starting from the wide end. Place pointed side down on the cookie sheet with 2 inches apart and curve ends to form a crescent shape.
- You are almost done. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover crescents with a terry towel and let rise until doubled (about 30 minutes). Bake for 12-15 minutes. Place on wire rack to cool. Now Enjoy!