Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This dessert has extreme pumpkin flavor, with a crust that is so buttery, flakey and light, if you prefer a less sweeter filling just add in 3/4 cup sugar --- the crust must be mixed on the food processor or it will not have the same texture.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces (no subs!)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup whipping cream (whipped, to taste)
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Set oven to second-lowest position.
- Butter an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- To make the crust: process all crust ingredients on a food processor for about 30 seconds until well blended.
- Press the mixture lightly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake crust for 15 minutes, then remove from oven.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling.
- With an electric mixer, beat the softened cream cheese with 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar for about 2 minutes.
- Add in eggs and beat well until combined.
- Add in the pumpkin puree, vanilla and melted butter; mix until combined.
- In a small cup combine flour, cinnamon and allspice, then add to the pumpkin mixture; mix about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour over the partially baked crust, and return to oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until just set.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled, cut into squares with a dollop of whipped cream on top.
I used 1 1/2 cups pumpkin as that was what I had left over from another recipe. I added 1 1/2 Tbsp flour. Instead of allspice I used 1/4 tsp nhutmeg, ginger and cloves. Used only 2/3 cup sugar + 2 Tbsp. The shortbread crust I followed the recipe.
I had already made a shortbread crust in a 9x13 pan (the pecans had gone bad, so I had to make a change), so I used the filling on that crust. It was thin, but very good. I will try it on the 8x8 next time. The texture and taste was excellent. Thank you for yet another great recipe!