1/3 Photos of Pumpkin Custard Tart (Vegan)
3 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 25 mins
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
I wanted something special for my Thanksgiving Day dessert and I came up with this recipe. It takes a bit of time to do this pie, but the end result is worth the effort. The custard is creamy and luscious and the crust flaky and tender. I found that there was some custard and pie crust left over, so maybe make a few tarts with it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Crust
- 1 1/4 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 -5 tablespoons ice water
For the Pumpkin Custard
- 1For The Crust:.
- 2In a food processor blend together the flour, and salt. Cut the butter up into tablespoon pieces and add all at once to the flour mixture and pulse off and on until the mixture resembles course meal.
- 3Add the water 1 tablespoons at a time through the feeding tube. Once you use up the 3 tablespoons stop the processor and test the dough. If it doesn't hold together add a little more ice water.
- 4Remember not to over work the dough as it will get tough.
- 5Once you are satisfied with the consistency of the dough, remove it and dump it onto your work surface and divide it into 4 portions.
- 6With the heel of your hand, smear each portion once or twice in a forward motion to help distribute the margarine in the dough.
- 7Once you have done this put the dough balls back into one big disc and wrap tightly in saran or plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
- 8When the hour is up, roll the dough out to a 15 inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Put the dough into your tart pan and let the edges hang over until you have the dough fitted properly.
- 9Trim the excess and leave about 1/2 inch of dough hanging over the edge, then fold it inside and press up against the inside edge of the tart pan. The edge of the dough should be slightly above the rim. Chill this for 30 minutes.
- 10Preheat your oven to 350'F at this point.
- 11When the dough is cold, prick the bottom of the dough all over with a fork and line with parchment that you cut to fit into the tart shell. Add weights and blind bake this for 25-30 minutes or until golden yellow.
- 12Once done, remove the parchment and weights and return the tart to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- 13Then remove from the oven and cool for about 1/2 hour.
- 14Keep the oven on at 350'F as you will need it to bake the pie further.
- 15Now make the filling for the pie.
- 16For The Pumpkin Custard:.
- 17In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, spices and salt. Once that's mixed, add the pumpkin, banana and non-dairy milk.
- 18Pour into your prepared tart crust and bake for an additional 45-50 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.
- 19Bon Appetit and Happy Thanksgiving!
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Custard Tart (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.4
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 326.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 20.3 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: