Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
This bread pudding makes a fine substitute for the more common pumpkin pie at holiday time or anytime in the fall. Note that you are using pumpkin pie filling mix that has sugar and spices added. Standing time is not included in the timing of the recipe. Recipe from BH&G.
Top Review by Schokobroetchen
This is a little piece of heaven! I used recipe #253733 for the pumpkin pie filling and made a loaf of milk bread. It was a terrific change of pace from the usual pumpking pie, muffins, rolls, adn cookies I make this time of year. I served it with the caramel topping and ice cream. Loved it!!!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half or 2⁄3 cup light cream
- 1 (30 ounce) can pumpkin pie filling, mix
- 5 cups dry bread cubes (see NOTE)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- caramel ice cream topping (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly coat the inside of a 3-1/2 or 4-quart crockpot with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and half-and-half. Stir in the pumpkin pie filling until combined. Stir in the bread cubes. Pour pumpkin mixture into the prepared cooker.
- Cover and cook on LO heat ONLY for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean (160 degrees F.) Turn off cooker and, if possible, remove liner from cooker. Let stand, uncovered for 30 minutes before serving.
- To serve: spoon bread pudding into dessert dishes; sprinkle each serving with some nuts. If desired, drizzle with caramel ice cream topping.
- NOTE: To make 5 cups dry bread cubes, cut 8 or 9 slices fresh bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Spread bread cubes in a single layer in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered in a 300 degree F. oven for 10 to 15 minutes.