Recipe by Elana's Pantry
I was determined to make a vegan custard, not the easiest thing since custard is basically made of eggs; After a bit of research I came upon this quick and easy no cook recipe which provided the inspiration for my custard base. I am quite intrigued with this no fuss method of making custard and look forward to using it for many other flavor variations. http://www.elanaspantry.com/desserts/pumpkin-custard/
- 1⁄2 cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon agar-agar flakes
- 1 pinch celtic sea salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, boiling
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin (or other winter squash)
- 1⁄4 cup agave nectar (plus a little more if you want it sweeter)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cashews, agar and salt in a blender and process to a fine powder.
- Pour boiling water into blender and process on high speed.
- Add pumpkin, agave and vanilla and process again until smooth.
- Blend in cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and lemon zest.
- Pour custard into ramekins or half cup mason jars.
- Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.