Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a tasty cream-style soup, but it doesn't have all the extra calories! For a little extra creamy texture use whole milk or a combination of whole and fat free milk. You can also use canned pumpkin rather than fresh.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 yellow onions, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups canned pumpkin or 6 cups pumpkin flesh, steamed and skin removed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, and more if desired
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cayenne, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- sour cream, for garnish (optional)
- basil leaves, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add butter, onions and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, pumpkin, curry, cayenne and cumin. Reduce heat and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. If you have used fresh pumpkin, you will need to cook it until it is soft, when poked with a toothpick. You will also need to puree the soup in a blender or with a stick blender.
- Add the milk and stir.
- Serve in pre-heated bowls.
- Garnish with sour cream, basil leaves and cayenne if desired.