Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Sunset magazine. YUM!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
Orange cream cheese frosting
- candy sprinkles (optional)
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- In a bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add pumpkin and vanilla and beat until well blended (mixture will look separated at this point).
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Stir half the flour mixture into pumpkin mixture.
- Stir in milk just until blended. Add remaining flour mixture and stir just until incorporated.
- Spoon batter equally into 12 muffin cups (1/3-cup capacity; cups should be about 3/4 full) lined with paper baking cups.
- Bake in a 350° regular or convection oven until tops spring back when lightly pressed in the center and a wooden skewer inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool in pans on racks for 5 minutes; remove cupcakes from pans and set on racks to cool completely, at least 30 minutes.
- Orange cream cheese frosting: In a bowl, with a mixer on low speed,cream cheese and butter, until well blended. Beat in powdered sugar, orange zest, and orange extract until smooth.
- Spoon orange cream cheese frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a 3/4-inch star tip and pipe onto tops of cupcakes, or spread on cupcakes with a knife. Decorate with candy sprinkles, if desired.