Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I bake these cupcakes every year for Halloween and they are always a hit. The delicious Kahlua cream cheese frosting is for adults only, so if you are serving children, simply leave out the Kahlua.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the egg, brown sugar and white sugar together, until smooth. Stir in the milk, vegetable oil, applesauce, pumpkin and walnuts, until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill a cupcake pan with the batter 4/5 full.
- Bake in the oven for 16 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. In a large bowl, beat the the cream cheese, butter and Kahlua together using an electric mixer. Gradually add in the confectioners' sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Frost the cupcakes. Serve and enjoy!
I made these a while ago and they are awesome, just used powdered sugar instead of frosting and they have gotten rave reviews from my husband so far.......
I made these last night for a group of friends that were over for dinner and everyone loved them. They were easy and delicious. I will definitely make again!
I made these for Cub Scout Halloween treats minus the Kahlua, and some for my husband and me with the Kahlua, and both were great! I added orange food coloring to the frosting of the kids' cakes to make them even more festive, and to make it easy for me to tell the two apart. Thanks for the recipe!