Recipe by Cooking Creation
I bake these cupcakes every year for Halloween and they are always a hit. The delicious Kahlua cream cheese frosting is for adults only, so if you are serving children, simply leave out the Kahlua.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the egg, brown sugar and white sugar together, until smooth. Stir in the milk, vegetable oil, applesauce, pumpkin and walnuts, until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill a cupcake pan with the batter 4/5 full.
- Bake in the oven for 16 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. In a large bowl, beat the the cream cheese, butter and Kahlua together using an electric mixer. Gradually add in the confectioners' sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Frost the cupcakes. Serve and enjoy!