Recipe by Keolani
Someone brought this to a ladies group gathering last week. Pumpkin desserts was the theme and this dish was the hit. Had to have it. I would describe it as pumpkin pie filling with pecan praline topping. Hope you love it as much as I do.
Top Review by Marlene.
This dessert was just ok for us ... we loved the bottom layer, which is just like eating pumpkin pie , but the dry cake mix that gets sprinkled over the top never got fully soaked up by the pumpkin. When I cut into it after it had cooled , I had an entire layer of dry, uncooked cake mix ... The directions were good, and the cook time was right on for me , just the dry cake mix part didn't work well. Still glad I tried it though!:)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 eggs
- 20 ounces pumpkin puree
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 (18 ounce) box spice cake mix (dry)
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl measure sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixer beat eggs.
- Stir in pumpkin.
- Add the sugar/spice mixture.
- Add evaporated milk (mixture will be runny).
- Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle dry cake mix over the pumpkin mixture.
- Drizzle butter evenly over the top of the cake mix.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Note: The recipe I got didn't really specify the amount of nut so I just guessed a good amount.
- Use how much you want.
- Also, it's pretty to leave some of the pecans halved.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
- Let cool.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.