Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Beautiful soft orange-hued crescent rolls. You can make and shape these rolls up to 24 hours ahead of time, and keep them in the fridge until you're ready to bake them.
- 5 1⁄2-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 2 cups of the all-purpose flour and the yeast; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat and stir pumpkin, the water, milk powder, the 6 tablespoons butter, the brown sugar, honey, salt, and cinnamon over medium heat until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter just melts. Add pumpkin mixture and eggs to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the whole wheat flour and as much of the remaining all-purpose flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (1 hour).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into thirds. Cover dough; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease three baking sheets or line them with parchment paper; set aside.
- Make Honey Butter: In a small mixing bowl beat butter and honey with an electric mixer on low speed until light and fluffy.
- On the lightly floured surface, roll each dough portion into a 12-inch circle. Spread with Honey Butter. Cut each dough circle into 12 wedges. To shape rolls, begin at wide end of each wedge and loosely roll toward the point. Place, point sides down, 2 to 3 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Uncover and bake rolls, 1 or 2 sheets at a time, about 15 minutes or until golden, rotating baking sheets halfway through baking if necessary. (Cover and chill remaining baking sheet[s] until ready to bake.) Brush tops of rolls with melted butter. Serve warm.