Recipe by Oolala
This recipe calls for apple juice which is different from other recipes I've seen. Nice treat for Thanksgiving! I haven't made this yet so please note that my recipe was from a community cookbook and it was missing some steps. I added step 5 because it was the only way I could see getting the pumpkin in with the yolk mixture before chilling! I also guessed what should be done with the vanilla bean. I suggested removing it at one point, but please do what you think is best and let me know!
- 473.18 ml pumpkin puree, canned and unsweetened
- 473.18 ml heavy cream
- 73.94 ml honey
- 0.25 ml cinnamon
- 0.25 ml ground ginger
- 1 vanilla bean
- 8 egg yolks
- 236.59 ml apple juice
- 73.94 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large non-aluminum saucepan, simmer over low heat, the pumpkin, apple juice, cinnamon, ginger and 3 tablespoons of the honey. Reduce to 1 cup.
- Heat cream and vanilla bean to boiling and combine with pumpkin mixture.
- Simmer until reduced to 2 cups. (Remove vanilla bean?).
- Place egg yolks, the 2 remaining tablespoons honey and 5 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl, in a pan of simmering water and whisk over low heat until you reach the consistency of custard.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well. (This was not in my recipe but I guessed it needs to be here before chilling!).
- Pour into a pie dish and chill.
- Before serving, sprinkle with 1 tablespoons of sugar and glaze under boiler.