Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas, or even a sophisticated Halloween party. Plus, they can be made up to 2 days ahead of time!
- 473.18 ml whipping cream or 473.18 ml half-and-half
- 22.18 ml dark rum
- 0.59 ml salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 236.59 ml canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml cornstarch
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 0.59 ml ground cloves
- 0.59 ml ground mace
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml water
- For custard: Preheat oven to 350°F Bring cream and rum to boil in heavy, medium saucepan; remove from heat and stir in salt.
- Whisk egg yolks, pumpkin, sugar, cornstarch and spices in large bowl to blend; gradually whisk in hot cream mixture; strain; divide mixture among six ½ cup ramekins or custard cups.
- Place ramekins in large baking pan; pour enough hot water into pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins; bake until custards are set, about 40 minutes; remove from water and cool completely; cover custards with plastic wrap and chill overnight (can be prepared up to 2 days ahead).
- For topping: Cook sugar and water in heavy medium saucepan over low heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves; increase heat and boil without stirring until mixture turns golden brown, swirling pan occasionally, about 10 minutes; working quickly, pour enough caramel over 1 custard to almost cover top; tilt ramekin until caramel covers custard completely; repeat with remaining caramel and custards; cool completely; refrigerate atleast 1 hour before serving.