Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Martha Stewart recipe: November 2010
- 1 1⁄4 cups ground gingersnaps (about 25)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups solid packed pumpkin (one 15 oz can)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 2. Combine gingersnaps, sugar, and salt into a bowl. Stir in melted butter.
- 3. Press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch metal pie dish.
- 4. Refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes.
- 5. Bake until crust is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
- 6. Bring milk, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/8 tsp salt to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 7. Whisk egg yolks with cornstarch and 1/4 c sugar in a medium bowl.
- 8. Gradually whisk about 1/2 c of milk mixture into yolk mixture. Return entire mixture to saucepan.
- 9. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until bubbling in the center (about 2 minutes).
- 10. Remove from heat.
- 11. Immediately whisk in pumpkin. Add butter.
- 12. Strain filling through a fine sieve into a clean bowl. Pour into gingersnap crust, smoothing top with an offset spatula.
- 13. Refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours.
- 14. When ready to serve, whisk heavy cream until medium peaks are formed. Top pie with whipped cream. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.