Made these for my future in-laws, who will be visiting this weekend. We tried one and they are fabulous. I think toasting the nuts really helped the flavor as well (see my note below).
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons white sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans (toasted these briefly first on a cookie sheet in the oven at 350 degrees, for about 10 minutes. Just)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour (I used half white, half whole wheat)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups canned pumpkin
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease and flour 18 muffin cups.
- FILLING: Beat cream cheese until soft.
- Add egg, vanilla and brown sugar.
- Beat until smooth.
- Set aside.
- STREUSEL TOPPING: Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon and pecans.
- Add butter and cut it in with a fork until crumbly.
- Set aside.
- MUFFIN BATTER: In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Make a well in the center of flour mixture and gradually incorporate eggs, pumpkin, olive oil and vanilla.
- Beat together until smooth.
- Fill cups with pumpkin mixture until they're about 1/2 full.
- Carefully add one tbsp of the cream cheese mixture right in the middle of the batter.
- If you're using paper cups, try to keep cream cheese from touching the paper.
- Sprinkle on the streusel topping.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.