Recipe by Lisa Clarice
This pumpkin cranberry spice cake is my own recipe that makes an incredible, moist vegan cake! Your friends will never guess it's vegan. You can make it non-vegan if you like. I make this recipe with fresh pumpkin and fresh cranberries when those two items are in season. You can use canned pumpkin and frozen cranberries as well. The frosting is an orange/vanilla butter cream (using vegan butter). Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice (or Cinnamon or All Spice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup pumpkin (fresh or can)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk (or any non-dairy milk or reg. milk)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (melted, vegan butter like Earth Balance or reg. butter)
- 1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two round baking pans.
- Combine pumpkin, spices, sugar, melted butter, soy milk and orange juice.
- Mix in flour, baking soda and powder, and salt.
- Cut cranberries in half and then add to mixture, mixing until well combined.
- Pour mixture into the two prepared baking pans and bake for approximately 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- To make vegan buttercream frosting, mix 1 cup (1 stick) Earth Balance butter with 2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and 1/8 to 1/4 cup orange juice.
- Frost when cake is cool.