Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Bert Greene.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon mace)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin puree or 1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease 9-inch square baking pan.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in large bowl.
- In small bowl, mix eggs, pumpkin, butter and sour cream with whisk.
- Add to dry ingredients.
- Stir just until ingredients are moistened yet thoroughly blended.
- Take care not to overmix.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden around edges and cake tester inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let stand 15 minutes before cutting into squares.