Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Low fat pumpkin chowder, one of my son's favorites (without the cayenne). Very easy to put together with very little prep time. WW points = 3/serving
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth (if making Vegetarian, use vegetable broth)
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄8 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Combine broth, corn and onion in saucepan and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes until onion in tender.
- Return heat to medium-high and stir in pumpkin, blending well until mixture begins to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Add milk, pepper and cayenne and continue stirring until heated through.
Extraordinary flavor and SO easy! We LOVED this! I used lots of cayenne (double or triple) and also some in the bowls since we like spice! This is a huge pot and would serve 8 people - maybe six for an entree if you're really big eaters. The only change I would make is to use the whole onion next time. (Just a note: My grocery store didn't sell smaller cans of cream corn so I used an entire 14 3/4 ounce can. Also, my can of pumpkin was 15 ounces.) This is good any time of year - by itself or you could add cooked meat for more protein if you like! Another fantastic recipe from Brooke, made for the Photo Tag game.
A nice soup with many pluses. Love that it is so low fat and that it has a vegetarian option. Also liked the creamy texture that the pumpkin gave the broth. Made as written letting them add cayenne to there bowls as not everyone likes cayenne. Next time will try adding some jalapeno and cilantro?? Over all a nice soup. Thanks so much for the post.
great soup, I sauteed the onion with 2 tablespoon chopped garlic in butter firstly, I used half and half cream instead of skim milk, we enjoyed this thanks for sharing Brooke!