Recipe by Gwanny Hill
My family loves pumpkin pie--I discovered the recipe for Pumpkin Cobbler in the Desperation Dinners column last year and adapted it to suit our tastes. I may never cook the old-fashioned pumpkin pie again! This is delicious and smells wonderful while it is baking. My recipe was featured in a local newpaper cooking column as "the best of the best". The preparation process seems lengthy but it is well-worth every step and minute!
- 1 cup butter, no substitute,divided
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut one stick of butter into four pieces and place in a 9"x11" baking dish.
- Place in preheating oven to melt the butter.
- Mix well,the flour, one cup of sugar, one cup of half and half, and one teaspoons vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Remove the melted butter from the oven and pour the flour mixture over the butter in the prepared dish.
- Do not stir.
- Set the mixture aside.
- Break the eggs into a large heavy saucepan and whisk them well.
- Add the remaining half and half, sugar, remaining stick of butter and canned pumpkin; heat to just below boiling point to melt the butter, stirring to mix well and prevent sticking.
- Add spice and remaining teaspoon of vanilla extract and mix well.
- Slowly and carefully pour or spoon this mixture over the reserved crust batter in the baking dish--do not stir.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the top of the pumpkin mixture.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until the crust is golden brown on top--50 minutes to an hour depending on your oven.
- (Because you have heated the pumpkin, it will take less time to cook in the oven.) Let cobbler rest on rack for 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
- Best if served warm, but completely acceptable if at room temperature.