Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 250 g butter
- 2 tablespoons orange rind, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemons, rind of, grated
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup pumpkin, mashed
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- Grease a deep 23cm round cake tin, line the base with baking paper.
- Cream butter, rinds and sugar until light and fluffy, add egg yolks; beat until combined.
- Stir in half the sifted flour with half the cold pumpkin, then stir in the remaining flour and pumpkin.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, fold through the cake mixture. Spread mixture into cake tin.
- Bake in a moderate oven about 1 hour or until cooked when tested with skewer.
- Pour hot syrup over hot cake and let stand 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool.
- To make syrup:- Combine all ingredients in saucepan.
- Stir constantly over heat without boiling until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer 2 minutes without stirring.
MMM, good! Took this to a family dinner where it had to compete with 2 other desserts; hardly any was left. (And the remains were NOT passed back to me to take home, I noticed.) I did make a few changes to suit my taste: I used about 1 2/3 cups pumpkin (1/2 large can,) I think it would have been too dry a batter otherwise, and made a syrup with more citrus juice and less sugar.