Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This has to be the most delicious coffee cake I've ever had or made. It's very moist and full of warm spices. Perfect for the autumn season. My family just fell in love with it. Adapted from "two peas and their pod" http://twopeasandtheirpod.com/pumpkin-cinnamon-streusel-coffee-cake/
For the cinnamon streusel
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
For the cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1⁄2 cup plain Greek yogurt (fat free is fine)
For the glaze
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease (or spray with cooking spray) a 9 inch springform pan or 9 inch cake pan. Set aside.
- To make the streusel. In a bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add in the butter, using 2 table knives or your hands, and cut into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- To make the cake batter, in a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and brown sugar on medium high speed until well combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add in the vanilla, pumpkin puree and Greek yogurt. Mix just until combined. Slowly add in the flour mixture. The batter will be thick.
- Spread half the batter in the prepared pan. Sprinkle half of the streusel over the batter. Spread the remaining batter over the streusel and top with the remaining streusel. Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 15 minutes, then remove the sides of the pan (if using a springform pan).
- Make the glaze while the cake is cooling. In a small bowl, whish together the powdered sugar, cinnamon, milk and vanilla. Drizzle over the top of the cooled cake. Cut into wedges and serve.