1/1 Photo of Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls With Cream Cheese Icing
2 hrs 30 mins
Recipe taken on the blog of Goodlifeeats.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup warm water (not hot, about 110 degrees)
- 1 (2 1/4 teaspoon) package active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree, either fresh or 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 cups approximately all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1In a large bowl, stir yeast into water to soften. Add milk, eggs, pumpkin, butter, 2 cups flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom to yeast mixture. Beat vigorously for 2 minutes.
- 2Gradually add remaining flour, a little at a time, until you have a dough stiff enough to knead. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead, adding flour as necessary, until you have a smooth, elastic dough.
- 3Put dough into an oiled bowl. Turn once to coat entire ball of dough with oil. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4Combine the white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg and cloves in a small bowl, set aside. Transfer the risen dough to a lightly greased work surface, and pat or roll it into a 16" x 12" rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough and then sprinkle with the sugar mixture.
- 5Roll the dough into a log the long way; it'll stretch to about 20" long as you roll. Using a very sharp knife, slice the log into 15 slices. In order to cut down on drag, it helps to rinse the blade in hot water, and wipe it off, between slices. Place slices in a greased 9x13 inch baking pan (or in two 8 or 9 inch round cake or pie pans). Cover with a towel and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 6Bake in a preheated 375°F oven. Bake the rolls till they're brown around the edges and beginning to turn golden brown across the center, about 20-30 minutes.
- 7While rolls bake, prepare the cream cheese frosting. Add the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and lemon juice to a small food processor. Blend until smooth and combined. Add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, blending in between, until well mixed and desired consistency is reached. (I used 2 cups powdered sugar).
- 8Frost warm rolls with the cream cheese frosting and serve immediately.
- 9For night before prep: Prepare the rolls up to the point where you roll and place in the pan. Then, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, remove the pan from the fridge and proceed with the instructions where you left off. Rising time may be slightly longer than noted in the recipe due to the dough being cold vs room temperature.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls With Cream Cheese Icing
Serving Size: 1 (1603 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.7
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 57.7 mg
- Sodium 283.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 35.4 g
- Protein 4.7 g