Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These bars are AWESOME!! the original recipe called for 2 cups sugar, I decreased the sugar amount to 1-1/2 cups which was plenty sweet. To reduce the fat, use half oil and half applesauce. If you like more spice then increase the nutmeg and cloves. These make a ton of bars!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (18 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 3 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- Set oven to 350 degrees (second-lowest rack).
- Grease a 15 x 10-inch baking sheet.
- In a large bowl blend together the first 8 ingredients.
- Add in pumpkin puree, eggs, oil and vanilla, beat until well blended.
- Mix in the nuts.
- Spread into prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the bars test done.
- Cool bars completely before icing.
- For the icing; in a large bowl beat the cream cheese, vanilla (if using) butter and 2 tablespoons whipping cream until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add in the 3-1/2 cups icing sugar and beat until smooth and well combined (add in more whipping cream or icing sugar if needed to acheive desired consistancy).
- Store any leftover frosted bars in the refrigerator.
These are very good. The only thing I did differently was to decrease the whipping cream to 1 tbsp. for the frosting. Will definitely make again!