Recipe by Cook4_6
From Eating Well November/December 2012. If you’re ready for a change from standard pumpkin pie, try this pumpkin torte recipe with a deep chocolate flavor. Pureed pumpkin helps make the dessert incredibly moist and dense. The topping is whipped cream with a touch of vanilla and sugar and a bit of pureed pumpkin folded in. This recipe has 6 Weight Watchers Points per serving.
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, canned unseasoned
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree, canned unseasoned
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare torte: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper and spray the paper.
- Combine 1/2 cup chocolate chips, butter and oil in a small saucepan. Place over medium-low heat, stirring frequently with a spatula, until melted.
- Beat eggs, egg whites, 1 cup pumpkin, 1/2 cup sugar, cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes. Add the melted chocolate and beat until combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the torte in the middle of the oven until the edges are set and the center just barely jiggles when the pan is gently shaken, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack to room temperature, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Melt the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips (see Tip). Decoratively drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of the cooled torte. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours (or up to 1 day).
- To prepare topping: Just before serving, beat cream with 1 tablespoon sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree. Remove the pan sides and slice the torte. Serve each portion with a dollop (about 1 tablespoon) of the pumpkin whipped cream.
- Tips & Notes.
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate torte for up to 1 day. Finish with Step 7 just before serving. Equipment: 9-inch springform pan, parchment paper.
- Tip: Melt chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave on Medium (50%) for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted. Or place chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir until melted.