Recipe by Kimke
These are my all-time favorite muffins. I first had this combination at Harry's Supermarket in Atlanta. I moved away and had to recreate his muffins. Cook time includes cool time.
- nonstick cooking spray, for the pan
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (rounded measure)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated or chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar (packed measure)
- 1 cup mashed pumpkin (or squash or sweet potato)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk (plain soy milk will also work)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Lightly spray 12 standard-sized muffin cups with nonstick spray or use cupcake liners.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, spices, granulated sugar, and orange zest in a medium-sized bowl, and stir until well blended.
- Crumble in the brown sugar, and mix with a fork and/or your fingers until thoroughly combined.
- Measure the pumpkin (or squash or sweet potato) into a second medium-sized bowl.
- Add the egg, milk, and vanilla, and beat with a fork or a whisk until well blended.
- Slowly pour this mixture, along with the melted butter, into the dry ingredients.
- Stir with a spoon or a rubber spatula from the bottom of the bowl until you have a uniform batter.
- Don't overmix.
- Fold in chocolate chips and nutes.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- (I find it easiest to use two soup spoons for this: One to scoop up the batter and the other to push it into the cup.) For smaller muffins, fill the cups about 4/5 of the way.
- For larger muffins, fill them even with the top of the pan.
- If you have leftover batter, spray one or two additional muffin cups with nonstick spray, and put in as much batter as you have.
- Bake in the center of the oven for to 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned on top, and a toothpick inserted all the way into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven, then remove each muffin from the pan, and place on a rack to cool.
- Wait at least 30 minutes before serving.