Recipe by MSMD310
These are delicious, moist cake squares that are simple to make. I made them 3-4 times this holiday season and received many compliments. My husband prefered them without the chocolate chips. Adapted from Martha's new Everyday Food magazine.
Top Review by mich26
Delicious! They reminded me of pumpkin bread, but in squares, but when I compared recipes these actually have less sugar. I think these will be replacing my pumpkin bread from now on!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 -3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned pumpkin
- 12 ounces chocolate chips (you may omit)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a 9x13 baking pan with foil.
- Whisk together flour, pie spice, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- To butter/sugar, beat in egg and and vanilla.
- Beat in pumpkin puree- batter may appear curdled at this point.
- mix in dry ingredients until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread evenly in pan and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
- Edges should come away from the side, and inserted toothpick should come out clean.
- Cool in pan, then cut into 24 squares for serving.