Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an easy to fix 'Gift in a Jar' mix that yields tasty and moist muffins when made. If you don't want to package this up to give away, just follow the directions to make the tasty muffins for yourself. This recipe came from Gifts from a Jar Muffins, Breads & Scones.
Ingredients for Mix in a Jar
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (I used pecans)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for making the muffins
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- To make the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin Mix: Layer first 7 ingredients attractively in any order in the 1-quart food storage jar with tight-fitting lid. Pack ingredients down slightly before adding another layer. Cover top of jar with fabric; attach gift tag with baking directions below. When I make this as a gift, I always include a can of pumpkin with the gift. Include the following direction when giving the mix as a gift.
- Directions for making the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins:.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease or paper-line 18 regular-size (2 1/2 inch) muffin cups.
- Pour contents of jar into large bowl. Combine pumpkin, milk, butter and eggs in small bowl until blended; stir into jar mixture just until moistened. Spoon evenly into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire racks.
These were great! Nice flavor, color and consistency. Not too many nuts or chocolate chips, just enough for good flavor. I first made in the jar and then later mixed them up, I would suggest mixing the flour and other dry ingredients, except brown sugar, an making that one layer. Be sure to pack down well from the start so it will all fit! I also yielded 21 muffins which is unusual for me since I usually overfill the tins. I'll definitely make them again! Made for My 3 Chefs Fall 2009.