Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I grew up on these delicious moist muffins, and would look forward to the fall season every year when my mother would bake these nonstop to keep up with my appetite! Chocolate and pumpkin may seem like an odd combination, but trust me, it is incredibly satisfying and the flavors compliment each other extremely well! (Note: you can use 1 tbs pumpkin pie spice instead of the cinnamon, ginger, and cloves)
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 7 1⁄2 ounces canned pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Thoroughly mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Break eggs into another bowl.
- Add oil and pumkin to eggs and whisk until smooth, then stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour wet mixture over dry ingredients and fold with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until puffed and springy to touch.
- Turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- (These muffins taste their best the next day).
Chocolate chip and pumpkin bakery style cookies are my favorites of mine and muffins are just as good! The only change I had to make was to use a gluten-free flour mix (I used Sun Flour Mills brand for these), but didn't change any liquid ingredients. They baked up perfectly tall and plump in 20 minutes and they are delicious! DS just walked in with one in his mouth and couldn't believe they were gluten-free. I'll be making these again, so thanks for posting your recipe, SaddleUp! Made & enjoyed for Spring 2011 Pick A Chef. :)
I made these with slight variations. First, I used fresh pumpkin, which is a bit more "wet" than canned pumpkin. I used slightly more if it than the recipe called for. I cut the sugar to 2/3 C. and the oil to 1/3 C. I think the extra pumpkin made up for any moistness lost by the change in oil. These were very good - a Keeper!!
my son and I made these tonight. They are great tasting and the texture is nice. Will make these again for sure!