Recipe by death_by_parsnip
These muffins are my favorite! They are also relatively healthy, made with whole wheat flour. They can be made vegan by replacing the chocolate chips with carob chips. I adapted this recipe from the Vegan Lunch Box web site
Top Review by 878238
These are so awesome. My GF was actually disappointed that they were healthy because she wanted to feel bad about eating them. I did have to add a little bit more water to get the mix right but other than that I followed the recipe exactley as written. I think next time I might add more spice to the mix, like some all spice or ginger to really bring out the pumpkin taste.
- 236.59 ml canned pumpkin
- 118.29 ml water
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 29.58 ml ground flax seeds
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 158.51 ml whole wheat pastry flour
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 78.07 ml chocolate chips or 78.07 ml carob chips
- 118.29 ml walnuts or 118.29 ml pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Spray a nonstick muffin tin sprayed well with nonstick spray, or line the tin with paper muffin cups and spray the cups with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Put the pumpkin, water, canola oil, ground flax seed, and vanilla in a blender and process on high for at least one minute, until light in color and well-blended. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the pumpkin mixture and mix well with a wooden spoon or large spatula until well-blended. If the mixture seems a little dry, add extra water. Fold in the chocolate chips or carob chips and nuts.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, distributing evenly to make 12 muffins. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a cake tested inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then use a spatula to gently lift each muffin from the muffin tin. Finish cooling on a wire rack.