Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from the Seasons of Central Pennsylvania Cookbook. I've made it numerous times and it never fails to impress. The original recipe used two loaf pans, but I found that it took much too long to bake through so I usually make it in a brownie pan. The choice is yours to make. Enjoy!
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup oil
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 -4 tablespoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare an 11 x 7 brownie or cake pan by spraying with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar and baking soda.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine oil, water, eggs, pumpkin and mix well.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and add liquid mixture plus the chocolate chips. Stir together to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45-55 mins or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Prepare glaze by heating butter in small saucepan. Once butter is lightly golden stir in sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in hot water until desired consistency is reached. Drizzle over cooled cake and allow glaze to harden.