Recipe by S Smith
An Autumn Tradition at our house! Great Bran Muffins. Keep the batter in the fridge, and make a fresh batch in the morning. You can change the fruit filling to anything you have on hand (banana, apples, applesauce, raisins, etc). Omit the chocolate chips for a healthier treat! (we only use the chocolate with pumpkin, as our Thanksgiving breakfast)
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups oat bran
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 1⁄2 cups turbinado sugar (sub granulated sugar if you like)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 (14 ounce) cans pumpkin
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together whole wheat flour, oat bran, wheat bran, turbinado sugar, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Combine oil mixture and pumpkin (all at once) with dry ingredients. Stir until just mixed.
- Spoon into lightly greased standard muffin cups. Fill nearly to brim of muffin cup. Cook for 18 to 22 minutes.
- Makes 42 standard sized muffins.