Pumpkin lends color and nutrients to this zesty and flavorful dish. This Chili Mexicana recipe can be found on VeryBestBaking.com's website and will also be included in the Zaar World Tour 2005 swap, Mexico.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can Libby's canned pumpkin
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup frozen whole kernel corn, loose-pack
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stirring frequently, add onion, bell pepper, and garlic cooking for approximatley 7 minutes or until tender. Add turkey and cook until browned. Drain.
- To turkey mixture add tomatoes with juice, pumpkin, tomato sauce, beans, chiles, corn, chili powder, cumin, and pepper. Bring this to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover saucepan and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.