Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A unique twist on chili--try it, it will surprise you.
Make and share this Pumpkin Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin or 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 2 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms
- Brown the ground beef and pour off grease.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, stirring well. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
- Serve with crackers, hot bread, or garlic bread.
I did like this chili, even though the seasoning is very mild. Never had mushrooms in chili and I loved that. The pumpkin flavor was not detectable, but does add great nutritive value. Thick and hearty; enjoyed with a chunk of homemade bread. Thanks.
Made with veggie crumbles for my vegetarian BIL and it was so good! Rich flavor. Everyone in my family just loved it. My personal change will be to put in a slightly less onions. But no one else complained!
This was an excellent recipe. I didn't use the red pepper because my husband said he wouldn't like it. But I think it would have been much better with it, as it was bland without it. So I'm giving it five stars. He agreed that the red pepper should have been included. It doesn't taste weird like pumpkin or anything. I will make it again when it turns cold weather.