Recipe by Chabear01
I know, there are plenty of this recipe already posted, but this one is put out by the Alberta Kidney Foundation, and is specifically formulated for people who are in renal failure. This is lower in Potassium, therefore people like my Sweet EddieBear can enjoy a slice of pumpkin pie also. This came from Food Power: A book for kids with kidney disease.
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup solid-pack pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk, scalding hot
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, scalding hot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, unbaked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg yolk, gradually adding in sugar. Beat until pale in color. Add the remaining ingredients, except the egg white, and mix well. Cool.
- Beat the egg white until soft peaks form. Fold into the above mixture. Pour into the unbaked pie shell.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 25 minutes.