Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I developed this because we needed a delicious, low cholesterol pumpkin pie. My family now prefers this fluffy version to the custard type.
- 2 (6 ounce) prepared graham cracker crusts
- 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 4 egg whites (Use Pasteurized raw or reconstituted powdered. Do not use a prepared liquid egg white product)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons margarine (low cholesterol such as Canoleo)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Slowly drop gelatin into 1/4 cup cold water.
- Set aside to soften.
- In saucepan, stir together the regular sugar, cornstarch, salt, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon.
- Add the fat-free evaporated milk and pumpkin and stir together.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until simmering and somewhat thickened.
- Remove from heat, stir in softened gelatin to melt.
- Stir in 1 tsp vanilla and margarine.
- Pour in large bowl to cool.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until stiff.
- Beat in 1 tsp vanilla.
- Fold egg whites into cooled pumpkin mixture.
- Spoon into the pie shells.
- Chill in fridge.
- Cook time is chill time.
- Garnish with Cool Whip and toasted chopped pecans.