Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Light and airy. Travels well to grandma's house for Thanksgiving. Pumpkin cake at it's best. Serve with a dollop of whipping cream or --Rita's-- Almond Cream Cheese Glaze.
- 473.18 ml cake flour, sifted
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 118.29 ml canola oil
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 118.29 ml water
- 177.44 ml pumpkin puree
- 2.46 ml cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 325°F Sift cake flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add, in order, the oil, egg yolks, water and pumpkin, mixing after each addition; beat until very smooth.
- Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in a separate bowl; beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Pour egg-white batter over the yolk batter and gently fold to blend.
- Pour mixture into a non-greased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean. Invert on a rack to cool completely; removed from pan when cool.