A sweet-tart cherry and cranberry sauce makes this moist cake sing. Serve it at your next dinner party -- or as an alternative to traditional pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 283.49 g jar cherry preserves
- 236.59 ml dried cranberries
- 78.07 ml butter
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 7.39 ml pumpkin pie spice
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 59.14 ml butter, softened
- 59.14 ml shortening
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 118.29 ml canned pumpkin
- 177.44 ml buttermilk (*) or 177.44 ml sour milk (*)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil; grease foil, set aside.
- 3In a small saucepan, combine cherry preserves, dried cranberries, and the 1/3 cup butter.
- 4Bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- 5Pour mixture into the prepared baking pan, spreading evenly,set aside.
- 6In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and baking soda; set aside.
- 7In a large bowl, combine the 1/4 cup butter and the shortening.
- 8Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- 9Add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined.
- 10Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 11Beat in pumpkin.
- 12Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- 13Carefully spread batter over preserve mixture in pan.
- 14Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 15Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- 16Carefully invert onto a large serving platter; remove foil.
- 17Spoon any preserves mixture remaining on the foil onto cake.
- 18Serve warm.
- 19*TIP: To make 3/4 cup sour milk, place 2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 3/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin-Cherry Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 366.9
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 59.5 mg
- Sodium 222.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 33.9 g
- Protein 4.0 g