Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A sweet-tart cherry and cranberry sauce makes this moist cake sing. Serve it at your next dinner party -- or as an alternative to traditional pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving.
- 1 (10 ounce) jar cherry preserves
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (*) or 3⁄4 cup sour milk (*)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil; grease foil, set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine cherry preserves, dried cranberries, and the 1/3 cup butter.
- Bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking pan, spreading evenly,set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and baking soda; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the 1/4 cup butter and the shortening.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in pumpkin.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Carefully spread batter over preserve mixture in pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Carefully invert onto a large serving platter; remove foil.
- Spoon any preserves mixture remaining on the foil onto cake.
- Serve warm.
- *TIP: To make 3/4 cup sour milk, place 2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 3/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Made this just this morning for a small group of friends who are coming by tomorrow, & it's gonna be a hit, I know, 'cause my taste-test was not just a little bite! Definitely a winner of a cake for the winter holidays, the combo of cherry, cranberry, pumpkin & buttermilk won me over right away! Thanks so much for posting the recipe! [Tagged & made as a recipe review reward in the PRMR Holiday Special]