Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes directly from VanEats.com which is a site for recipes, etc from Vancouver. I made this last Thanksgiving and it was a big hit and good replacement for the standard pumpkin pie.
- 1 1⁄2 cups hazelnuts
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups solid pack pumpkin
- For crust: Toast nuts in oven for 10 minutes at 350.
- Cool slightly and rub off skins.
- Place nuts in food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add sugar and process until nuts are finely chopped, but not greasy.
- Combin nut mixture with butter.
- Pat into bottom of 9" sprinform pan and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- Cool before filling.
- For filling: Stir together sugar, spices, and cornstarch.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Gradually add sugar mixture, scraping sides of bowl often.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well.
- Beat in pumpkin until just blended.
- Pour into crust-lined pan.
- Place pan of water in bottom of oven.
- Bake cake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 300 and bake another 30 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and place on cooling rack.
- Cover with a large bowl or pot so that it cools slowly.
- Cool completely before serving.