Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Are you tired of making the same old pumpkin pie? Me, too. My family loved this cake. It's a cake, it's a cheesecake. It's a big hit where ever you take it. You can make the cheesecake part the day before or even earlier and freeze it until you're ready to do the rest. Plan to make this when you have plenty of time and won't have to rush. Cooling/chilling/freezing time is not included in the prep time so be sure to allow at least 4 or 5 hours for that. Tip: Because the frosting uses pumpkin puree but not the whole can, I measure it out into freezer jars, mark it and save it for the next time I make this frosting.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs bar cream cheese, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil (I use melted coconut oil)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) canunsweetened pumpkin puree
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
PUMPKIN SPICED CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- The cheesecake: Preheat the oven to 325*F. Place a large oven safe pan on the lower rack of the oven. Place a kettle of water on the stove to boil. Spray a 9-inch spring-form pan with nonstick spray similar to Baker's Secret.
- Cut a parchment circle, line bottom of springform pan and spray parchment with non-stick spray.
- Wrap foil around and up the sides of your springform pan. Tuck the points around the top edge to secure it.
- In a large bowl, use mixer to blend the cream cheese until it is smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add sugar and salt, miz approximately 2 more minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl periodically. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each one.
- Add sour cream, whipping cream and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Set pan in your large oven safe pan inside preheated oven. Pour the boiling water into the large pan so it reaches 1/2 way up the side of the springform pan.
- Bake the cheesecake for 45 minutes. It should be just set.
- Carefully remove the cheesecake pan from the water bath. Cool on a rack for at least 20 minutes. Run a knife around edge and continue to cool completely.
- Carefully place a plate on top of cooled cheesecake layer and flip it over onto plate. Remove parchment paper.
- Cover in plastic wrap and freeze.
- The cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray like Baker's Secret. Cut a round of parchment paper, line the pan and spray again with non-stick spray. I always use cake strips for every cake I bake so that my cakes always have nice, flat tops. So if you will be using them, soak them and attach them now.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the oil and sugars. Mix until thoroughly combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Mix in the pumpkin. Beat well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour all other dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating between the wet and dry ingredients until everything is combined.
- Pour the batter into your 2 prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pans for at least 15 minutes and then remove to wire rack, remove parchment and cool completely.
- The frosting: In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the cream cheese, butter, pumpkin, spices and vanilla. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add 1 additional cup of sugar slowly and continue to mix until smooth and creamy. If you frosting is too thin, carefully add a little bit of sugar. If it's too stiff, carefully add a little bit of milk or cream.
- If you did not use cake strips on your pans, carefully level your cakes now. Put the first cake layer on your cake plate. Remove the cheesecake from the freezer, unwrap it and put it on top of the first layer. If the cheesecake is larger than the cake layer, wait 15 minutes for the cheesecake to soften slightly and trim it to fit. Put the 2nd cake layer on top. Frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Keep cake refrigerated until served.
- Tip- I usually have leftover frosting. It is wonderful on pancakes or pumpkin muffins!