Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Added some veggies to the dish
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 1⁄2 cups shredded gruyere cheese, divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni as directed on the package. When the macaroni is done, drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and stir in flour.
- Add in milk, pumpkin, dijon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Heat until it just starts to simmer.
- Add in 3.5 cups of cheese and stir until melted.
- Add drained macaroni to cheese sauce and mix together.
- Place in a two 8x8 pans or one 13x9 pan and top evenly with the last 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake until cheese is bubbling – about 20 to 25 minutes.