Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup amber beer or 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons honey or 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- grated fresh nutmeg, to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- sweet paprika, for sprinkling
- chopped chives (to garnish)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt it and cook the pasta to al dente. Drain and reserve.
- Pre heat the broiler.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.Whisk in the flour, cook for 1 minute, then raise the heat a bit and add the beer or chicken stocl. Reduce until almost evaporated, then whick in the honey or maple syrup and milk. season with allspice, mustard, cayenne, a little freshly grated nutmeg and some salt and pepper. Thicken to coat a spoon, couple of minutes, then taste to adjust the seasonings.
- Whisk in the pumpkin puree, then stir in about 2 cups grated cheese with a wooden spoon until melted. Combine the pasta with the sauce and arrange in a casserole dish. SPrinkle with the remaining cheese and a light dusting of paprila. Broil to brown and bubble. Garnish with chopped chives.
I made this and my 5 year old daughter said it was the best mac and cheese that I ever made! However, I wasn't brave enough to put the honey and spices in (I don't like my main food sweet). Instead, I put 1 tsp salt, pepper, marjoram and basil, with about 1/4 tsp rosemary. I also sprinkled some bread crumbs on top. It was surprisingly good!